Monday, April 6, 2009

Live blogging the Big Game (OMG I Just Want to Die)

10:42 What a day. I gave blood so I feel a little woozy. Yoga was no fun at all as I spent the entire hour twisted into some ungodly position trying (hard) not to fart out loud. We're down 21 at the half and the Tigers got pounded in The Opener. But, the Yankees lost, so, all in all, not a bad day.
10:44 Let's check CC Sabathia's line today for the Yanks in Baltimore, shall we? 6 earned on 8 hits in four and a third. 5 walks, too. Nice.
10:47 An MSU buddy called in from Texas at halftime and he was just mortified. I told him not to worry about it since we were probably the only two guys watching.
10:47 I saw Jud Heathcote sitting in the stands tonight. He was MSU's coach when the Spartans won it all in '79. I covered that team for a local radio station, often watching from on top of the broadcast booth at Jenison Fieldhouse. Great view but I was always a little afraid I was going to fall and die and ruin the game. Jud used to call himself "Julius Heathstrap", but I don't know why. I remember when I was going to State that the entire Varsity except two guys refused to play a game against Indiana. They claimed it was all about racial injustice but if memory serves that was the year Bobby Knight's team went undefeated and I remember thinking that maybe they didn't want to get hammered. Gus Ganakis was the coach and that turned out to be his last year. Jud became Spartan coach prior to the start of the next season.
10:58 I also noticed at the half that democommie was upset about people talking sports on my "Friday Musical Interlude" post of a few days ago. He said he thought it was supposed to be about music and culture. democommioe is so funny. Like I'd have any thoughts re: "culture". Ha, Ha, ha.
10:59 MSU cuts it to 16. Now we got 'em where we want 'em.
11:01 I was watching that 1979 NCAA title game (MSU v. Indiana State and Larry Bird) on the far-see last night and that was fun. A lot of Afro's. Really short basketball shorts, no shot clock and no three point line. Ah, memories.

No comments: