Thursday, October 9, 2008

The Nature of the Beast

I wrote some time ago about an Obama rally that I went to with my wife and daughter in downtown Detroit and I talked about how good it felt to be in the midst of thousands of people who thought like we thought (i.e. We can change the world on Election Day!) and who, like us, were all having a blast even if we were stuck in a line that was at least eight blocks long.

It was a positive environment. People were happy. Hopeful.

In fairness to those we are about to see, I'm sure the presence of McSame supporters that day would have stressed my mellow. I'm sure I would have shouted something and I'm sure that the only reason I would not have flipped them off was because my little girl would have seen me and it so disappoints her when I do that. I know this to be true because she tattled on me for flipping off a McCain-Palin yard sign, so this is now something I am no longer allowed to do.

But I also know what I would have yelled to those mythical protesters would have been along the lines of, "Don't you know you're getting screwed?" Or, "Do you like the way things are going in this country?" Or even, "How stupid can you be?"

The latter question, "How stupid can you be?", is the one which is answered here as we tune in our fellow Americans, this time somewhere in Pennsylvania at a rally for the GOP ticket:

No comments: