Monday, October 13, 2008

Get Off The Ice!

The title of this post is an actual quote from an actual fan yelling at me during a hockey game.

But, that's not what this is about. 

Democommie, a budding sports writer (?) has excellent post about Sarah Palin's, uh, chilly reception at the Flyers/Rangers game Saturday night in Philadelphia.  The video below (run time 2:25) provides the best idea of what it was like to be in the arena at the time.  It's all about the ambient sound.  The other versions I've seen, taken off the tee-vee, are muffled since the arena sound system (cranked up to the max, I suspect) covers the crowd noise.  Give this one an earful...

 

3 comments:

democommie said...

Thanks, Richard:

And all these years I thought the Flyers' fans were scum. Thank God they are true patriots. But Stan Mikita would still kick their asses, singly or in batches!

Anonymous said...

It’s bad enough that the NHL prostituted itself for the Palin/McCain ticket … but exactly how many Republicans did they expect to find in Philadelphia? I mean, even at a hockey game?

Now, I know you love hockey, Richard, and I’m told the Blackhawks oughta be pretty good this year (though you wouldn’t know it so far), but it seems to me the NHL is still, I dunno, kinda out of touch with the rest of America. Which isn’t a criticism of the sport or the players; just the guys in suits …

Richard said...

It is bad that the NHL prostituted itself, but as democommie pointed out in his post on his blog, NHL VP Bill Daly said the appearance was "not political." Now, there's a line of bullshit you can believe in.

Speaking of Mr. Democommie, Stan Mikita, eh? Boy I got some good comments on him from NHL Hall of Famer Bill Gadsby in a book I read about him (okay, I actually wrote it, but you have to read it to write it, right?)and some other Origianal Six stars called "The Gods of Olympia Stadium." I was going to provide you with the link, but the "read on-line" version cuts out a page or two before Gads gets to taking about Stan. The upshot was, though, that Mikita was "one tough son-of a bitch." Gadsby says he'd flatten him repeatedly, getting really, really good shots in, and Mikita would bounce right back up and tell Gadsby that if he needed tickets to the next round of the playoffs that he should feel free to give him a call.

The fucking fucker...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/1582616019/ref=sib_dp_pop_fc?ie=UTF8&p=S001#reader-link