Wednesday, October 1, 2008

I Guess This Means A Sweep Is Out Of The Question

While I was looking for something with which to cheer von Ebers who, since he is living and dying with the Cubs here in the postseason and is therefore, at least for the moment dead, I came across this in the Cubs Official Game Notes:
Despite 118 years of mutual existence, the Cubs and Dodgers meet in the postseason for the first time … however, the teams have played 2,024 times in the regular season starting with their first meeting May 29, 1890 … through the first 2,024 games, the clubs have played to a 1,012-1,012 draw.

No. Bleeping. Way. You play over 2,000 games and the all-time series is tied? That may be the most amazing stat I have ever seen in my baseball career.

My bid to find cheering news in the Cubs defeat appeared to be an Epic Fail: Since 1995, the winner of Game 1 of the NLDS has gone 23-3 in the series.

But then this! Since 1995, the winner of Game 1 of the ALDS has gone 12-14 in the series.

Hey, how in the hell can this be? Well, all I can say is that if a team can come back to win in the AL, indeed, if they come back to win more often than they do not, the same thing can happen in the NL. So, go Cubs, I say.

Besides, I remember a little boy (moi) who was bummed to the maximum after Game 1 of the 1968 World Series when Bob Gibson of St. Louis fanned every Tiger who came to bat (okay, he only struck out 17) and the Cardinals won and all hope was gone and then Detroit came back to win the Series in 7 so let's not give up just yet.

First pitch at Wrigley comes at 9:37 (EDT), 37 minutes after the first pitch in the much-awaited VP Debate. We'll comment on that under separate cover, which is a fancy way of saying I'll write a stand-alone post on that topic.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, thanks, Richard, for the kind words.

Let me just say this: I’m a realist when it comes to sports. Wouldn’t I have to be, being an Illini fan? Not to mention a Cubs fan.

I don’t expect the opposition to just phone it in. I don’t expect them to say, well, you’re the Cubs, you won 97 games, we’re playing at Wrigley, it’s been a hundred years, blah, blah, blah … so, we’ll just let you win. Nope. I expect ’em to show up and play their hearts out. And that’s what they did.

Nor do I blame Ryan Dempster. He proved last night that he’s human. That’s okay; I don’t expect him to be a machine. He had a bad game; it happens – especially in baseball, where success is hitting the ball one third of the time, if you’re lucky. Let’s face it, the Cubs would not have made the playoffs if it weren’t for Ryan Dempster, so he’s allowed to have a bad game. It sucks that he had a bad game in the first of a five game series, but so be it.

So, if we’re taking out the Big Book of Sports Clichés, today’s selection would be: “That’s why they play the games.”

Richard said...

TB goes up 1-0 in the 2nd as we post, Dave.

Dempster's performance last night was an anomaly. He faced 24 hitters and allowed 11 to reach and you cannot win with that kind of ratio. In his previous five starts prior to last night, Dempster walked 7 in 30 IP. Yesterday he walked 7 in 4.2 IP.

Big Z goes tonight as you know. Carlos faced LA twice this season. Shut ‘em down in Chicago’s 2-1 win at Wrigley Field May 28 after he limited the Dodgers to one run in 8.0 innings before departing in a 1-1 tie…got lit up @LA on June 7 allowing 7 ER in 6.2 IP. Gave up 2 HR’s in the game…one of only 2 starts (out of 30) in which he allowed multiple HR…CHI was 20-10 in his starts.

DON'T PITCH TO MANNY AT WRIGLEY EVEN IF HE IS 0-3 LIFETIME AGAINST ZAMBRANO.

And Harden starts Sat in LA.

Anonymous said...

Amen to that.

I’m not ready to panic – not yet anyway. Although I will say, my favorite line from the Disney/Pixar flick Toy Story was when Woody says to Buzz, “This is the perfect time to panic!”

If Z can pull out a win tonight, I’ll go back to being, uh, “cautiously optimistic.”

(By the way … no response to my comment on the Biden/Palin Roe v. Wade thing? What gives?! … I’m kidding, of course.)

Richard said...

I was too busy researching the baseball. I plan to get to it to it, though. I can't have you crank out a couple of thousand words and not say boo in response, can I?

Anonymous said...

No sir, you cannot! Plus I posted about Johnny McHoover over at my joint, too.