Wednesday, July 30, 2008

"...Instead Of Being Arrested"

The best line I've heard about US Senator Ted Stevens, 84, and the 7-count "Failure to Disclose" felony indictment  filed on him Tuesday by a federal grand jury came on this morning's The Bill Press Show,  but not from Bill Press.  Press said he got it off some blog, so the credit for this goes to the blogger whose post Press used to get a laugh, but who he failed to identify.   But, whoever it was, they came up with a beauty:

"Here's a guy so corrupt that even the Bush Justice Department had to charge him."

The only part of the Stevens' story I don't like is this, as reported in the  The New York Times this morning:

Mr. Stevens was informed of the indictment through a telephone call to his lawyer on Tuesday morning and was allowed to surrender instead of being arrested.

I think The Honorable Mr. Stevens deserved to be handcuffed and dragged out of the Senate chamber by at least 6 burly US Marshals.  Doesn't the word "felony" mean anything in this country, anymore?

In his own defense, and, again from The Times, Mr. Stevens said in a statement, "I have never knowingly submitted a false disclosure form required by law as a U.S. senator.”

Since ignorance of the law is not a defense for having broken the law, Sen. Stevens will, of course,  lose if his defense comes down to the word, "knowingly". 

And, if he loses, he will be missed.  Not to mention his November re-election hopes just got a little bit dimmer and if he loses that race we'll miss him as well.  So it is in the spirit of missiness that we present one of the great floor speeches ever delivered in the US Senate, remarks by Senator Stevens when he was only 82. 

It's a classic.  You know it, you love it, and it is and will forever be the way we remember the Honorable Ted Stevens.  Ted, we hardly knew 'ye.

(As recommended by Wonkette, you should CRANK IT!!!)  

© 2008 Richard Kincaide. All rights reserved.

3 comments:

Nomi said...

Off Topic: but Public!

I want to know your opinions and concerns and questions around the new Video Re-play for Homeruns in baseball!

Seriously, it's not hockey, but you are the "nearest" sportscaster to me.

Oh yes -- any comment on the Mike and the MadDog demise?

Best wishes, hope everyone in your family is well...

Richard said...

Nomi, dear:
I like the replay just fine...but I also like the human element so I guess I don't what to say. I would be disappointed if they expanded replay to other parts of the game. Like I said, I like the human element in my baseball.

I'm surprised your Mets are going to win the East. Teams that can their managers in mid-season very rarely have success the same season.

The '08 Detroit Tigers, meanwhile, have been the biggest disappointment in franchise history.

I'm afraid I am not familiar with the work of Mike and Mr. Dog but if they are obnoxious like broadcasters who call themselves "Mad Dog" typically are, the broadcast landscape is more appealing without them. I don't do obnoxious. At least not on purpose. Of course, that may also be the reason I am out of work.

democommie said...

Richard:

I am waiting for Ted's lawyers to tell DoJ that the elder senaturd is too frail to handle the strain of a trial or, GOD forbid, getting bf'd in some federal prison for a few months. Of course they might have to have him campaign from home if that's the case.