Tuesday, September 9, 2008

"Thank You, Sir. May I Have Another?"

Whenever I hear someone say they are going to vote Republican this fall I ask them a simple question: "Have you been to a gas station lately? Or a grocery store?"

These fools who plan to vote for McCain and all their ilk in the Republican Party recall Chip, the Omega pledge in the movie Animal House who, after assuming the position, is paddled--abused, more accurately--by a smug upperclassman and responds to the beating he's taking by asking, "Thank you, sir. May I have another?"

How bleeping stupid can you bleeping be?

Yeah, I watched the Republican National Convention last week. As much as I could stand, anyway. Which wasn't that much. But what I did see sickened me.

As I sat there watching the spittle, the hate and the lies spew forth from the mouths of Mittens and Thompson and Julie-Annie et. al., it dawned on me just what effect listening to them and watching those pathetic, idiotic saps sitting there cheering them on was having on me: For the first time in my life, I was not proud to be an American. The sights and the sounds coming out of St. Paul left me embarassed, nay, ashamed for my beloved country. I never knew I could feel that way. Learning that I could made me feel ill. I hate the Republicans for that.

Country First. What a lie. The words are ash in my mouth.

Nobody who put country first could name the Queen of Wasilla, Alaska as his running mate. Nobody who puts country first could place so a utterly and totally unqualified an individual in a position where she could in a heartbeat (or, actually, of course, the lack thereof) become the president. Pandering First. That's what John McCain is all about. Bleep him and the nasty, evil, vapid woman he rode in on. Okay? I said it.

I hate everything they stand for. I hate what they have done to my country. I hate the on-going rape they have planned for her, and for all of us, if the American people are stupid enough to give them four more years. Which, although I would choke on the words were I to speak them aloud, the American people may well be stupid enough to do.

On the other hand...

I packed up the wife and kid and made the trip to downtown Detroit for the big Obama Labor Day rally last week and what I saw there made me proud to be an American. We got there an hour ahead of time and found that in order to get in, we were going to have to wait in a line that was about 8 blocks long. Maybe 9. By the time we got to the entrance, Hart Plaza was full. There had to be 30,000 people in there already. And there had to be another 20,000 or 30,000 people who were just like us--on the outside looking in. It was an amazing sight. It was an amazing thing to be part of. It gave me hope. And isn't that --hope -- the point of our campaign here in this fall of 2008?

As we were leaving, I walked past a school bus full of black kids from Southfield-Lathrup High School. A young man stuck his head out the window and asked, "You for McCain?"

"Oh, hell no," I said. "I'm for Oh-Bah-Ma!" The entire bus started cheering. Cheering so loud that the bus started rocking. I loved it.

I've saved the best for last. This will soon be joining the list of "Everybody Wants To Read These Blogs" because it is just great. It's called Welcome to the PalinDrone: Sarah Palin's Blog. You will enjoy it.

http://sarahpalin.typepad.com/my_weblog/

Peace out.

7 comments:

Nomi said...

Richard,

Thank you for the link. Thank you for this post.

I'm not feeling articulate, but I always want to Read [your]Blog, because of your way with words.

I remember very clearly my horror and shame when the US elected Ronald Reagan for the SECOND time...that was my first presidential election and I was voting in Massachusets.

Anonymous said...

Excellent post Richard.

I have friends, even relatives, who are McCain-iacs; and, worse, they're all in love with the Teenage Beauty Queen. I have a message for those folks -- even those who are friends and relatives: You no longer have one iota of credibility left. Not one. Your opinions are utterly worthless. I wouldn't go to a movie you recommend, let alone listen to anything you have to say about politics, war, religion, social issues ... you name it. You've completely marginalized yourselves, because you chose to.

But you, my friend, are spot on.

As always.

gmanitou said...

Richard you hit the nail on the head in your piece. Excellent post. As I watched the Repulsicans I too was disgusted.

Hey if things get bad you can stay with me up on my acre of land in north Ontario. My tax bill is due this month but I will pay it so there is no chance we won't have a place to go. We can sit with our families looking across the north channel at the docks at Bruce Mines. In our reflection we can think of the America that once was.

Richard said...

G-Man:
Not to mention that when you are up there in the Great White North you can fire up a Fat Boy™ anytime you want and you won't get hassled by The Man™, man.

democommie said...

Richard:

What is a "Fat Boy" is that anything like General Grove's "Big Boy"?

I was at a gathering tonight to celebrate the life of a friends recently passed father-in-law. His sibs were there and I said hello to most of them. He has one brother who is a very smart guy and a complete fucking bonehead politically. I was a good boy, I did not make eye contact.

Richard said...

demo:
Anytime you are in the metro Detroit area just drop on by and I'll explain all. Oh, and bring some weed with you. Half a pound or so ought to do her...

sharon said...

"But if you ask me, Todd and I (hi Todd!!) got the best names in the whole bunch. I'm Denali and Todd is Driller! These were actually both names we had been thinking about in case we have any more kids. But now we get to have them ourselves, it's so fun!!!"

ROFLMAO!!!!