Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Tuesday Musical Interlude

There was no hockey Saturday, so, for the first time last fall, there was no Hockey Night in Canadia on the telly Saturday night.  What to do, what to do…

The CBC knew just what to do.  They re-aired “Canada-Russia ‘72”, a docu-drama about the historic 1972 8-game series between a team of Canadian-born NHL All-Stars (Phil and Tony Esposito, Bobby Clark, Ken Dryden et. al.) and the Soviet Red Army team.  Everybody, I mean everybody, thought the Canadians – even without the Bobbys (Orr and Hull)  – would win the Series, oh, about 8 games to none and by final scores in each game of about 15-0. 

Instead, in Game 1 the Soviets came into the Montreal Forum and kicked the snot out of the Team Canada, 7-3 or something.  I mean, they just killed ‘em.  Nobody could believe it.  Canada won the next game in Toronto but a tie and another loss followed.  They were booed off the ice after that last game in Vancouver.  And when Canada lost the first game in Moscow, blowing a 3-goal 3rd period lead no less, they had to win all three of the remaining games to win the series.  How’d it turn out?  Google it.  Or just Google Paul Henderson.

I was in high school 1972 and since the games in Russia were being played during the afternoon our time, I remember my teachers sneaking out of class to watch on a TV in the teachers lounge down the hall.  I didn’t care about that, I just wanted an update. 

“Canada-Russia ‘72” is a terrific program. (It was nice how the CBC put up a disclaimer after every commercial break warning that the program contained “coarse language” -- which it did.)  I’d recommend it to anyone not offended by coarse language. 

It featured plenty of rock and roll period pieces from Canadian groups which meant a lot of the Guess Who.  But also this one from the Five Man Electrical Band.  You know them from the song “Signs” (long-hair freaky people need not apply…) but back in the day I thought this was a pretty good jam, so I’m glad they used in it in the show because I’d forgotten it.  Do they still have “jams”?  Just askin’.

Party on, Garth.  Game 2, Wings and Black Hawks tonight!

Oh. My. God.  This just in.  WTF???

I thank God for Republicans.  I thank God for Michael Steele.

4 comments:

democommie said...

I know we (Canada is "we", when I say it's "we", dammit!) won, because we're not all speaking russian and fucked out of our skulls on wodka--well, we're not speaking russian, anyway.

Michael Steel is such a fucking tool. If he was a lot better he'd just be a fucking loser.

Richard said...

I am a couple of hours behind real time on the Wings-Black Hawks game because I was watching the Tigers. So no comments please re "we won," or, "we lost." Thanks. Plus I have to watch with the sound off inasmuch as I cannot bear to listen to Mike Emrick do play-by-play. Thanks, again.

Richard said...

demo:

I think Team Canada won because it was God's will.

democommie said...

Richard:

God don't give a rat's patoot about Canadistanians. He's too busy caring about the reichwingers.