Tuesday, March 3, 2009

My Lunch with Dave Dombrowski

Every month I write a column for the Detroit Sports Broadcasters Association newsletter and I have decided to share this month’s offering with Everybody….

One of the best things about being President of the Detroit Sports Broadcasters Association is the opportunity I get to sit at the same table with our luncheon guests – even if I never have time to actually eat because I always have to get our program underway while everybody else is still working their eating utensils so as to make sure our meetings don’t last until dinnertime. This, by the way, is seen as a good thing by my doctor who has told me, in passing of course, that I could afford to skip a lunch or two here or there.

Last month (and I hope you didn’t miss it) our guest was Tigers President and General Manager Dave Dombrowski. As we sat down I couldn’t help but tell him how much I enjoyed our annual chats, as they provide me with the chance to give him the guidance he needs to put a Championship squad on the field. He reminded me that my advice had not been much help last season. (You will recall that the Tigs were a slight disappointment in ‘08, what with their going 74-88 and finishing Dead Last in the American League Central and all). I thought, frankly, that his comment was a bit disingenuous inasmuch as he had failed to heed the advice I had given him prior to last season which was to sign Barry Bonds. “You’ll be doing baseball a great favor,” I told him. “If he hits 30 home runs it will clear up the whole steroid controversy because if a left-handed hitter can homer consistently at Comerica Park you know he’s on the juice!”

Undaunted, I was ready with more wisdom for Dave in time for the upcoming season.

You know what you ought to do right now?” Not waiting for an answer which may well have been a polite yet firm, “Who cares what you think?”, I plunged straight ahead. “You should sign Manny Ramirez. Great God Almighty, I’ve never seen a stadium react like Dodger Stadium did when he came to bat last season. They’d start going nuts when he came out into the on-deck circle. Then he’d get to the plate and hit a two-run dong or something and the place would go berserk. I’ve never seen anything like it. Do you know what he hit after the trade from Boston? I jotted it down:

G PA AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BB IBB SO HBP SH SF GDP SB CS BA OBP SLG OPS

56 242 198 37 76 14 0 18 56 37 17 40 3 0 4 6 2 0 .384 .479 .727 1.206

“He hit .384!”, I continued. “18 homers and 56 RBI in 56 games! Sign him and you can put me in the rotation and still win the division!”

Dave nodded in appreciation as he continued working on his delicious Hockeytown chicken breast, so I went on.

“Now, I’ve been thinking about the finances of the whole thing. I figure you’d be better off if you simply gave your pitchers, say, $600,000 every time they win a game. A guy wins twenty, that’s 12 mill. Fair enough, right? Besides, I’ve been listening to pitchers tell me the hitter is trying to take the food off his family’s table for twenty years now and it’s all b.s. The guy’s going to get his check whether he gives up seven earned in two-and-a-third or throws a perfect freaking game. Or….every time the team wins, open the clubhouse door and toss a million and a half dollars in and let the boys sort it out. If they win 100 games the cost to you is 150 mill. Again, a good deal, wouldn’t you say?”

Then it was time for me to get up and do the emcee bit, so I never Dave never really had the chance to respond to my thoughts on how to improve the game, but the look on his face said it all. He was either looking at me like he was in the presence of genius, or an alien from Mars. I couldn’t be sure. I’ll be sure to ask him which when I see him again at Tiger Day next year.

8 comments:

democommie said...

Rich:

I think that Manuelito has had as much to do with cities that have to be shoveled on opening day as he wants.

Anonymous said...

Alls I can say is: (a) Get Manny the heck out of the National League, please; and (2) if Dombrowski doesn’t buy your financing plan, just tell him this: “Bailout.”

I mean, let’s face it … between the Lions and the Tigers, Detroit sports teams need a bigger bailout than GM, Chrysler and Ford put together.

Anonymous said...

In retrospect, that sounds a little harsh. I was only thinking that since MSU beat my Illini, I could talk a little trash. Or is it reverse-trash? You know what I mean …

SeattleDan said...

Looks like Manny will re-sign with the Dodgers. I'm with Dave...let the NL have him.

Anonymous said...

No, Dano, no! I want him the heck out of the NL!!

Richard said...

I saw that about Man-Ram. Son-of-a-bitch (with hyphens, yet!). Looks like Dombrowski is blowing me off again! I can't believe it. Didn't he learn anything from last year when he didn't listen to me and ran last? What do I have to do....

And Dave, no offense taken re: Det teams. Like I told you, I spect to see Ill-uh-NOISE again this year. I think they're pretty good. They worry me as much as Purdue, but for now I shall revel in the Big Ten Title, thank you very much.

Anonymous said...

And a well deserved Big 10 title it is. Truth be told, I only watched the last few minutes of the Illinois-MSU game. Although I could never root against Illinois, I wasn’t altogether unhappy the Spartans won, given that they are likely to go much farther (further?) in the tourney this year.

And speaking of the Big 10 tourney (which I wasn’t; I meant the Tournament in the comment above), I’d have to guess the team nobody wants to play is Northwestern. They won’t make the big dance, but they’re gonna drive a lot of good teams crazy in Indianapolis.

Which, by the way, reminds me of something neither one of us has posted about this year: Namely, what a fantastic college basketball season we’ve had so far. The real beauty of this season is, there really is no one dominant team. Nobody’s going to go into the tournament at 33-0 or 31-1 … every team is beatable, and I think that makes for a very interesting month of March.

Richard said...

I looked at the B-10 (11) tourney bracket and MSU's reward for being the first seed is getting the winner of the NW/UM game--problematic for us no matter who wins, if you ask me.