Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Good-Bye To PMS

One does not, in the strictest sense, "graduate", from Middle School.  Instead, one completes a three-year course of study with an eye towards matriculating from High School at a later date.  So, tonight, it was not Graduation Night at my daughter's Middle School (the initials of which are, unfortunately, PMS) but rather it was "Recognition Night".  My daughter was recognized in a way which amused the entire family.  Laura got herself a certificate signed by none other than our hero George W. Bush!

 

 

Power Graduation 6-11-08 014EDIT

 

"Look at that signature, I said.  "The poor man's handwriting is that of a sociopath!"  It is.  His is the signature on the right.  I suppose that could be a "G", the "w" is little-tiny (just the opposite of what you'd expect, isn't it?) and in lower case, and only the "Bush" is legible.

Anyway, I'm glad my daughter was lauded by the President of the United States.  I'm sorry it had to be this one.  It's like I told her: Odds are this is the worst president you will see holding that office in your entire lifetime. 

It was hot inside the gymnasium, so after Laura got her Recognition and I had enough pictures, I went outside and sat in my car and, as a cool breeze wafted through I was mesmerized--mesmerized, I tell you--by the sound of Dennis Kucinich (I am so glad I was one of the 3% who voted for him in the Michigan Democratic Presidential Primary, inasmuch as my vote didn't mean anything anyway and I thought he'd earned it by running a hard campaign and by saying NOTHING I didn't agree with) reading Articles of Impeachment against George W. Bush.  Air America Radio was replaying, unedited, his floor speech from last night.  Everyone should listen.  I know he spoke for 4-and-a-half hours last night, but even listening to some of it will lift your heart.  I know it did mine. 

That and having a daughter I am so proud of. 

2 comments:

Nomi said...

Mazel Tov to Laura!
(and the 'rents, too)

I suspect there are many schools with those initials.

P.M.S.'s of the world unite !

Anonymous said...

Ditto from me, Richard.

My eldest is a scant two years from that Giant Leap for (Hu)Mankind” … An’ I gotta tell ya, sixth grade was no picninc.

P.S. … Thanks for the linky-link!