Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Rain Delay Programming

Here's a little thing for a Monday even though it's Tuesday.  I was stuck at the ballpark Saturday night as we were in the midst of getting rained out (again) and with time to kill I found this radio show out of Philadelphia on the internet that I had first heard while chaperoning my daughter and a friend on a trip in New Jersey last summer.  It's the "Saturday Night Dance Party with Bob Pantano" and I'm a big fan.  He plays a lot of songs which I have either never heard before or which I have not heard for so long that I've forgotten I ever heard them in the first place.  So, while I was sitting there Saturday night, watching a tarp, I was listening to this...


Pretty nice, eh?  There's a lot going on in that song.  The artist is Robert John which, prior to the Google, I did not know.  And here's something else I did not know:  "The Lion Sleeps Tonight"? That's Robert John, too.  I know you've heard of that one.  Wee-mah-whac, ah-wee-mah-whack...


Anyway, thanks Philly station!  They had their own style of music in Philadelphia.  Perhaps you've heard of it.  TSOP.  The Sound of Philadelphia.  


We had our own style of music here in Detroit, too.  Perhaps you've heard of it.  Motown.  But I bet you've never heard of the Detroit Emeralds:


How can you not LOVE THAT?  He's not just gonna buy her the dress.  He's gonna buy her the ironing board so she can keep that new dress looking sharp.  What a guy, am I right?!


Anyway, that's how I kill time during rain delays.  I find old songs and then I listen to them and then I pass them along to you.


Well, no rain tonight, we hear.  The Tigers have the Twins in for game 2 of a 3-game.  Max Scherzer goes for Detroit.  He was, just a week ago Saturday night in Pittsburgh, looking to become the first Tigers starter to have a 7-0 record in the month of May since 1939.  In his first 9 starts of the season he was 6-0 and the Tigers were 7-2.  His ERA was 2.81 and opponents were hitting .257 off him.  But he got cuffed around a little bit that night in Pittsburgh and then got shelled by the Red Sox here last Thursday in a game Detroit lost 14-2. In his last two starts then, Scherzer is 0-2 and the Tigers are 0-2.  His ERA is 11.74 and opponents are hitting .400 off him.  


By the way, tonight's is game #54 for the Tigers in 2011.  We play 162 at this level, which means that after tonight, the season will be exactly one-third through.  If they Tigers win, they will hit the milestone a mere 2 games over the .500 mark.  If they lose, they will be right at .500 with a record of 27-27.  In either event, it is not good enough.


First pitch is 7:05 EDT and we will be there to blog it for you and to get all the postgame quotes and such.  Unless we have fallen victim to heat exhaustion, that is.  It's 90 right now, heading for a high of 93.  Should still be around the 90-degree mark at First Pitch.  We'll see.

No comments: