Friday, February 6, 2009

25 Random Things About Me

I'll address the reason I've not been posting in a future post. For now, here's an item I posted on my "Facebook" page a few days ago. Many of you have seen it, but perhaps some have not. I am fine and I will be back with you soon. Very soon. And know that all of you have been in my thoughts...

#1. I love everything about everybody. All the time.

#2. I bullshit a lot.

#3. I find the hardest thing about being a Christian is the ability to remember at least 3 jokes that don't involve sex for use during church-related socil occasions.

#4. I love my wife, especially the way she looks when she is about to fall asleep.

#5. The best thing about having a small child is that they will believe anything you tell them. When she was little, I once told my daughter that airplanes had feet, much like ducks, which they used to land and it took her over four years to learn the truth. Boy was she steamed, too. "Why would you do that?", she asked.

#6. I love my daughter more than anything and no matter how mad she gets I can make her laugh. I rue the day when I can't pull that off anymore because I'll tell you, it's a useful tool to have in the bag.

#7. Every time I use one of the glasses she gave us as a wedding present almost 15 years ago (and that's every day, just about) I think of the lovely Lori Capper. What a great gal!

#8. I can't believe I'm only one-third of the way through with this list. God. What do you people want to know?

#9. I have known several of my friends for over 35 years and they are my best friends.

#10. I have serveral friends who I have never met but, due to the internets, they are among my best friends, too. You know who you are.

#11. I like Barack Obama better as president that I did as a candidate, and I liked him a lot as a candidate.

#12. I like being a native of Detroit and I don't care what anybody who is not from here thinks of Detroit.

#13. I have a famous sister. If you saw the movie "The Color Purple" you have heard her play her French Horn.

#14. I got my name on the front page of USA Today once for asking a bitchy (yet fair, I think) question of Greg Norman at the PGA Championship in Toledo. Sports Illustrated called me "a brass-tongued commentator" over the same incident and while I'm not sure what they meant by that, I thank them.

#15. I am proud to be the president of the Detroit Sports Broadcasters Association. It means a lot to me to have my peers show me that degree of respect. I think though that I would still rather be a sportscaster in Detroit. It's sort of like losing your medical license and being named president of the American Medical Association.

#16. I try never to show it, but rare are the times I don't think I'm the smartest guy in the room. Especially at press conferences. I swear if I hear another reporter ask, "What do you think the turning point was?", I'm going to beat them to death with my microphone.

#17. I have been fired 8 times in my career. Only once for attempting to beat another reporter to death with my microphone, however. But 8 times? I'd hate to think what the number might be if I were a jerk or something.

#18. My sister and I got stuck at Tiger Stadium the day the riots started in Detroit back in 1967 and were somewhat lucky to escape with our young lives. It's still the scariest thing I've ever experienced.

#19. I saw Nolan Ryan pitch a no-hitter in person. Got in for free, too. I was in high school and I drove down by myself and while I was outside looking to purchase a single (Who's got one?) some guy gave me a Box Seat. I asked how much he wanted for it and he said, "Just take it." Cool.

#20. I once played goal in front of 6,000 people. It was a charity game and over half the 1980 US Olympic hockey team was there. I made a beauty (read: "lucky") glove save on a Mike Eruzione (the guy who scored the goal that beat the Russiians) blast from the circle to my right and the crowd roared. It took a moment or two before it dawned on me: "Uh, by the way, Rich, they are cheering because of that save you just made!" You should have seen the look on Eruzione's face. He was pissed. What? I'm supposed to let you score? Note: If you are trying to beat me, don't try going glove side high. I'm weak in so many areas, but that isn't one of them.

#21. The best book ever written by someone other than myself is "Ball Four" by Jim Bouton.

#22. The best book every written by me is "The Gods of Olympia Stadium". Check it out at amazon.com and contact me for information about how you can get a personalized copy to call your own.

#23. The best movie ever is "Slapshot" and "Animal House" (tie).

#24. If you want to make me laugh, fire up some Monty Python, Firesign Theatre or Sam Kinneson.

#25. I do not have any idea how to "tag" people on Facebook.

4 comments:

Nomi said...

Richard,

believe it or not, I was going to encourage you to post this here!

although i've not written my 25 things, I've been entranced by every list I've seen...

are you going to read the Joe Torre book?

greetings to your family...Nomi

SeattleDan said...

Love your list.

I read Ball Four every couple of years or so. It still holds up after, what, 40 years now.

And Firesign Theatre? Oh, yeah.

Anonymous said...

Well, Rich, you may not know how to tag folks, but you tagged me nonetheless. I haven't come up with 25 original thoughts just yet ...

I mean, like, ever.

Richard said...

It's funny, (not really) I only learned how to "tag" once I was in the act of posting the list on Facebook.

I have no plans to read the Torre book. Like any good American, I hate the Yankees and everything they stand for. And not just because Goose Gossage once called me "Fatso" to my face. It began way, way before then.

Best line from "Ball Four": "So, I suppose this means a blow job is out of the question."

It's a classic. I got to interview Jim Bouton once and I kept throwing quotes (not the one above) from the book at him and I think he enjoyed it. He says he gets it all the time, though.

Here's to Dooley Womack...