Tuesday, April 20, 2010

J-Class

Just about time to leave for the Wings game so we will have to work fast.  This might be the last time I get to say that, by the way.  Not the “work fast” part, the “leave for the Wings game” part.  Lose tonight and lose Game 5 on the road and tonight’s becomes the last Wings game of the year at the Joe Louis Arena.  I have to say, I don’t think the Red Wings will survive this series against Phoenix.  On the other hand, just for your information, I thought the Wings were going to beat the Penguins in the playoffs last year so you may make make of it what you will.

The Child™ is taking Journalism I (one) this year and it is not going well and since I was the one who talked her into taking the class since it had such a profound influence on the direction my life took, I feel some guilt.  Back in my time, the Journalism classes published a newspaper—”The Blue & White”—once a week.  These days, they publish “The Blue & White” once a trimester.  The rest of the time they, well, I’m not exactly sure what they do. 

I can tell you that they have spent the past several weeks examining the difference between “hard” news and “soft” news.  I am unsure A). Why this is important in the first place, and, B). Why it is taking so long to explain the distinction. 

I can do it thusly:  “Hard” news is what happens during the first minute of the newscast.  “Soft” news is what happens during the ensuing 29 minutes of the newscast.

Or,  “Soft” news: “What your child eats can kill them—what every parent needs to know!”  “Hard” news:  Westland teen eats _____; Dies.

Was that really so hard?

Let’s move on.  I have come up with the following multiple choice to help my daughter become the best journalist she can be.  I played hockey today and to be frank, my goaltending was not up to snuff.  My review was simple.  If I had played twice as well as I did, I would have been bad.  Let’s see if the following helps us to select to best, the most apt, descriptor of my performance this afternoon:

The best way to describe my play would be:

A. Sad.

B. Pathetic.

C. Embarrassing.

D). If-he-was-a-horse-they-would-have-shot-him.

E). All of the above.

The correct answer is “E”, all of the above.

Again I ask, how hard was that?  Not very. 

And now, off to Game 4.  I will try to Tweet and do the FB updates, but again, sometimes my mobile device works inside the arena and sometimes it does not.  It’s sort of a game-time decision, if you will.

3 comments:

Dave said...

So, um, let’s see. The Detroit-Phoenix series is tied 2-2. Whereas lowly Nashville is up 2-1 on my Blackhawks …

democommie said...

Richard:

I took journalism about 40 years ago. One class was enough. The woman teaching the course thought she was supposed to be teaching spelling--not that I have a problem with that--but that's ALL she thought she was supposed to be teaching.

The Bruins were tied up in their series going into game 5.

Bukko Boomeranger said...

Good luck to your daughter with that journalism thing. That was what I set out to be in life -- a newspaper reporter. It was my chosen profession. Got my first college degree in journalism; laboured as a paid newspaper reporter for 10 years, got my ass fired from several places for stirring up too much trouble, and finally had to bail out of the field after prolonged unemployment. During my time as a newsman, I always said "I am a newspaper reporter."

For the first 10 years after I got my nursing credentials, I used to say "I work as a nurse." But after a decade, especially after nursing was the ticket that allowed me to be a legal immigrant into other countries, I finally started saying "I am a nurse." Wish it could have been different, but journalism is dying slow. Thankfully, none of my patients are tonight...