Monday, March 24, 2008

Easter

I don't know what it was like where you were, but here in the greater Detroit area yesterday--Easter Sunday, the temperature was in the upper 20's and there was snow on the ground as we made our way to church. Not very Easter-like.

I sing (if one is willing to accept a very liberal definition of the word "sing", that is) in the choir and as we waited in the narthex to process into the sanctuary, I amused some (but not all) of my fellow parishioners by observing that, had the actual Easter Morning been as cold as it was yesterday, "Jesus would have stayed in tomb."

I figure my mock chilly Savior would have said something like, "Roll that stone back into place, will 'ya? It's freezing out there. Let's try it again Tuesday or Wednesday, okay?"

As I mentioned, many around me laughed. A few did not. In fact, one or two people shot me a dirty look. People are funny about humor and religion.

I read the "created in His own image" clause of the Bible to mean that God, in addition to ungodly good looks, gave me a sense of humor. If I'm wrong about that, well, we'll be seeing you in the Lake of Fire. My bad.

Others see virtually any attempt to make a funny when it comes to matters involving religion as sacrilege. I understand. Of course, the chance that I might offend those around me has not and will not prevent me from joking about God, Heaven, Hell and all the rest of it, but I do understand. They can pray for me if they want to. I can use all of that I can get.

No comments: